Episode 6x15 "The Time Warp" monologues



Opening monologue: Richard Webber in AA

I've seen a lot of surgery residents come and go
in my time and they are all addicted to surgery.
It comes before food, before sleep, it becomes the
most important thing.
The only thing.
What they don't know is that living off that high
can eat them alive.
So make it through, they come out on the other side.
They survive, with their sanity intact.
They become better doctors and stronger people.
I didn't.
I'm broken.
I didn't kill anybody and I give thanks for that every
day.
But I hurt people and scared the hell out of myself.
I am 45 days sober today.
I'm Richard and I am a grateful and recovering alcoholic.


Closing monologue: Richard Webber lecture speech
It changes you, this work.
Your patients, your colleagues, you change each other.
You don't ever think you'll lose your way.
But what happens in this hospital...
just remember why you came here.
You said it the day you graduated from med school.
You took the Physician's oath.
Remember it, tape it to your bathroom mirror.
Cause it is to easy to lose your way.

I solemnly swear pledge to consecrate my life to
the service of humanity.
I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude
that is their due.
I will practice my profession with conscience and
dignity.
The health of my patients, will be my number one
consideration.
I will respect the secrets that are confided in me,
even after my patient has died.
I will maintain by all the means in my power,
the honor and the noble traditions of the medical
profession.
My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers.
I will not permit considerations of age, disease or
disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, race,
political affiliation, nationality, sexual orientation,
social standing or any other factor to intervene
between my duty and my patient.
I will maintain the utmost respect for human life.
I will not use my medical knowledge to violate
human rights and civil liberties.
Even under threat.
I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon
my honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment